Frequently Asked Questions

Who is my alderperson?

To locate who your alderman is in the City of Jefferson, you will first need to visit our Maps Page and click on the "Ward and District Map."  Once you determine what ward in which you reside, you will need to visit our Council.  This page will allow you to find out more about your alderperson.  If you have questions about locating your alderperson, contact City Hall at 920-674-7700.

Where do I get passports?

Passports are currently processed through the Jefferson County Clerk's Office.  They can be reached at 920-674-7140.

Where do I get a marriage license?

If you are getting married in the County of Jefferson, you may purchase a marriage license through the Jefferson County Clerk's Office.  They can be reached at 920-674-7140.

I have a court date in Jefferson, but I don't know when?

The first thing you need to determine is whether or not your court date is with the City of Jefferson or the County of Jefferson.  The easiest way to determine this is the address on your ticket.
If the address is 320 South Main Street, you need to call the Jefferson County Clerk of Courts at 920-674-7150.
If the address on the ticket is 425 Collins Road, you need to contact Dawn White at 920-674-0444.  Dawn White is located at the Jefferson Police Department.

Do I need to get a license for my pets?

Yes, by ordinance, all cats and dogs residing in the City of Jefferson are required to have a license.  Visit our Licensing Page for more information or contact our City Hall office at 920-674-7700.

Where can I purchase a pass for the dog park?

Dog park passes can be obtained through the Jefferson County Parks Department or at the City Hall Office during tax collection.  The County Parks Department can be reached at 920-674-7260.  The City Hall Office charges a $1 convenience fee if purchase thru the City.

How do I rent a shelter in the park?

Anyone can rent a shelter in the parks.  Visit our Shelter Rental Page for more information or contact our Parks & Recreation Department at 920-674-7720.

Do I need a building permit?

You are required to obtain a building permit for any work that is done on your property.  If you do not obtain a permit before work begins, you will be required to pay double the fees. Visit our Departments page and select Building Department for more information or contact our Building Inspector at 920-674-7727.

When is my garbage picked up?

Garbage is picked up by John's Disposal Services out of Whitewater, WI.  Garbage collection is every Tuesday throughout the entire city.  Recycling is picked up every other Tuesday depending what side of Hwy 26 you live on.  Visit our Garbage Collection Page for more information.  Please direct all of your garbage questions to John's at 1-888-473-4701.

When is brush picked up?  When are bulky items picked up?

The City of Jefferson Streets Department picks up brush throughout the city once a month.  The pickup begins the first Monday of every month and will proceed until all of the brush is cleared.  (During certain times of the year, this may take longer than one week).  You must have your brush organized in a neat manner so the limbs are all in the same direction.  This allows the Streets Department quick and easy access to the brush.
Bulky trash items are picked up by John's Disposal Services the second Tuesday of each month.  At this time you can place excessive trash items at the curb.  If you have questions regarding what you can and cannot place at the curb please contact John's at 1-888-473-4701.

Does the city have a dump site?

No, the city does not have a landfill.  There is one located in Johnson Creek called Deer Track Park Landfill, N6756 Waldmann Lane, 920-699-3475.

Can I use the compost site?

The compost site is open to all city residents.  The hours are Wednesday 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.  There is an attendant available on Wednesdays only.  When you visit the site your first time you will receive a card.  Please take proof of residence with you the first time you visit the site.
The site is located at the end of Maple Grove Drive just east of Hwy 26.

Can I install a fire pit in my backyard?

You must follow strict guidelines when placing one of these pits in your backyard.  These are considered fire hazards and must be handled with caution.  Please contact Fire Chief Ron Wegner at the Fire Station, 920-674-7723, for information about placing one of these on your property.

Can I burn leaves or trash?

Any burning done within the city limits is at the discretion of the Fire Chief only.  It is illegal to burn without the Fire Chief's prior approval.  Please contact Chief Ron Wegner at 920-674-7723.

Who do I contact if my neighbor's weeds are taller than eight inches?

All property owners in the City of Jefferson are required to properly maintain their parcels, this includes overgrown weeds.  If you find that a property in the city has weeds that are taller than eight inches in height, our Weed Commissioner has the authority to act upon the complaint.  Please contact our Weed Commissioner, Bill Pinnow, at 920-674-7737 for more information.

What do I do if my sewer backs up?

Contact the Wastewater Treatment Plant at 920-674-7705, if it is after hours contact the Police Department at 920-674-7707.  Please visit our departments page and click on Wastewater treatment plant for more information on sewer backups.

Frequently Requested Phone Numbers:

Jefferson Post Office                           920-674-3131
Jefferson County Clerk of Courts           920-674-7150
Jefferson County Clerk                         920-674-7140
Jefferson County Treasurer                   920-674-7250
Jefferson County Land Information        920-674-7254
Jefferson County Register of Deeds        920-674-7235
Jefferson County Zoning                       920-674-7130
Town of Jefferson                                920-674-8336